5.21.2013

Philly Cheeze Steak

A few months back, Lucky Peach had an issue with a Philly Cheese Steak recipe that got my mind going.

I have been thinking about it for a long time. How to take the meat out and make it ever-so-scrumptious. Like dripping-off-your-fingers-gets-on-your-shirt-and-you-have-to-walk-around-the-rest-of-the-day-with-a-stain-on-your-shirt-good.

I thought about my Dad a lot while making this. He is a brilliant cook. A chef really. And if I make a vegan dish that is a copy of a "meat -lovers" all time favorite, it needs to pass the Daddy test. My Daddy can cook some meat. But like any fine chef can appreciate all things well prepped, prepared or cooked.

Last Saturday, I finally got around to putting thoughts into action. And then into my belly.

Big hit. For everyone.

And I think Dad will be pleased when I make this for him when next we meet.

It will definitely be a regular at this house.

Try it and let me know if you give it the thumbs up as well.


Philly Cheeze Steak

5 large Portabello Mushrooms
3  Bell Peppers
2 Onions
Steak Seasoning (I used Penzy's Mitchell's Street Steak Seasoning)
Your favorite Vegan Cheeze Sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
Hot Dog Buns


1. Turn Portabellos on their sides like a wheel and thinly slice them. Then slice those thin slices into strips. Put into a skillet and saute' with veg broth and liberally season with the steak seasoning.
You want this juicy and dripping with flavor.

2. Slice peppers thinly (I prefer red peppers with a serrano thrown in). Saute' in veg broth until soft.

3. Slice onion in thin slices. Caramelize in veg broth in a skillet. I actually use water to saute' and add a bit of Happy Herbivore's No-Chicken Broth Powder.

4. Now pile it on your warmed bun: mushrooms, peppers, onions and then add your favorite vegan cheeze sauce. I used Heidi Ho Veganics because we had some on hand. My Red Pepper Dip would be brilliant as well.

5. Eat, but watch that shirt because if you did it right it should be dripping good!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS